Thursday, March 9, 2017

Commentary- This Blog Post Caught My Attention

     While scrolling through blogs to find one of interest, a post about Michael Burgess caught my eye.  My dad did campaign work for Burgess for many years, especially during his first campaign when running for state representative.  I even had the chance to meet with him this winter break in his office in Dallas, and got to discuss politics, school, and what it means to be a politician (and how to be one).  Before I met with him my dad briefed me on his political stances, which he knew greatly differed from mine.
     I chose this article over Burgess (there were multiple of him on this woman's blog) because of the irony I got out of it, but only for personal reasons.  He apparently called a long awaited town hall meeting but the announcement of the meeting came along with remarks like "do not allow this to be overrun by the left" and "this is our home ground, don't surrender".  This was funny to me, since during our conversation he encouraged getting involved at any level and admitted the the reason he even got into politics was to promote the change he wanted to see.  I found their announcement of the meeting aggressive and hypocritical, but only on a personal level because of my experiences with him.  In order for there to be a meeting to debate issues, there has to be different sides.  They are saying something about their own Republican supporters too, like "hey, you lazy voters, get these libs out of here and take back this town meeting!".  
     I had always heard interesting things about Burgess, and after meeting him I see politics in a totally different light.  From a man who went from owning his own OBGYN clinic to representing District 26 as our Congressman basically overnight, he showed me that under all of the slander, aggression, and corruption in politics, a normal, mistake making human being lies under it all.  From him sitting in his conference room telling me to always get involved, to him discouraging liberals at their town hall meeting; its all situational, and politically shouldn't be taken personally.  That concludes my discussion of Congressman Burgess; I'm still hoping for some help from him in getting an internship at the Capitol next year so shhh don't tell I'm talking about him! 

PS here is a picture of me and the Congressman over winter break 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment